Pinchers

Monday, August 29, 2011

Koko Samoa for Catherine of the Observers...

                                                        
I haven't forgotten about you.  I have to work out a recipe for the Samoan cocoa because well, I just "Make" it lol.  Koko Samoa is Hot Chocolate on steroids.  Who needs coffee?  This stuff is chock full of caffeine lol and the flavor that you get from it is like no other.  Swiss Miss and Nestle hot cocoa mixes are a joke compared to this.  I grew up on this stuff and it was a precious comodity when I was a child because the Only time we got to have it was if someone came to visit us from the Islands.  So my mom used just a little bit of the Samoan cocoa mixed with the Hersheys baking cocoa just so she could stretch it.  But now you don't have to do that because it's readily available at specialty stores but it costs a pretty penny.

Samoan koko is just straight up dried, roasted, pounded and packaged cocoa beans from Samoa and is considered to be premium cocoa due to the fact that it lacks the bitterness that most cocoas have.  To make it is just grated Samoan cocoa, boiling water, sugar to taste and coconut milk or evaporated milk is optional.  Most don't use the milk, or grate the cocoa because they like to nibble on the pegu (grounds).  Grating the cocoa is just something that we did in my family and I personally don't like to nibble on the pegu.

So, the ratio is what i have to work out but you're more than welcome to buy the Samoan cocoa at the Vegetable Bin on MLK in Seattle and experiment on the ratio.  In San Francisco there are Stores on Geneva down by where the Cow Palace used to be right next to the KFC. 

Start with 1/2 c grated cocoa to 1 gallon of water.  Grate and add more cocoa to your taste, but I must say that the Samoans like thier cocoa strong.  I will work on this for you but if your patience has dwindled then have at it lol. 

Grate the cocoa, add it to the boiling water, stir, cover and simmer for at least 15 minutes.  I found this video on youtube and hope it helps.    http://youtu.be/z3wjufJUBhI

That's another Blip for my BFFs today.  Enjoy.

1 comment:

Soloau said...

Or...You can give me a call and set up a time we can get together so I can "show" you how it's done and give you a block. =}