Pinchers

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Velvet Hammer

I am now in a term called CAC which is short for Cusine Across Cultures.  And it is taught by Chef Shannon Herman.  From day one of school I have been deathly afraid of this woman on first sight.  She is a tiny li'l thing but her nick name is "The Velvet Hammer" and in other words, She walks with not a 2x4 but a LARGE sledge hammer and she swings it with one hand...

I had done Everything possible to avoid this woman in the hallways, no eye contact if possible NOTHING.  Then I just had to be the Over Achiever that am and became an Ambassador and next thing I know I had volunteered for an Event and later found out it was headed by none other than...Yes, you guessed it, The Velvet Hammer, and I was shivering in my steel toed shoes. 

So I had to find out if she needed anymore help for her event (hairs in the back of my neck tingling) after school.  After class I went to my car put my stuff away, put my brow pierce in and was just about to start the car and DAMN, I forgot to go ask her.  So, back into school I go, slowly because my knees were knocking.  Got to her door, took a deep breath and walked in.  I stood there and waited to be acknowledged, as is the way we are taught..."can I help you?"  She looks at me and before I could answer she points at my brow and says, "you didn't have that in during class today did you?" I think my face turned red Instantly and my knees almost buckled but somehow I stood firm, "No Chef, I just put it in, I was just on my way home."  She had that thin lipped, head nodding "Hmmm?" thing going.  "What did you need?"  I think I stuttered and was probably inaudible but I roughly spat it out and she said she didn't need any more help and I said "Ok Chef" turned and Bolted from the room and from that day forward was even MORE afraid and not Eagerly awaiting CAC.

Darcy says to me, you know, you're so afraid but you come across the same way to people that don't know you and the way you run things sounds just about the same.  Hmmmm?  And you know what.  She was right.
Now that I'm in the class I just LOVE this woman to death.  Her lectures are interesting and she runs the kitchen with a "Velvet Hammer".  I love me some tiny little, STRONG women LOL...Well, they don't necessarily have to be tiny but STRONG?  OMG, to me, THAT is "Sexy" for lack of a better word.

And so I didn't get the TEXT book for this class when Everyone else did and I told her about it and she said that she had 3 of them at home and that she'd bring me one of hers.  I got that yesterday and now I'm all Feeling like Harry Potter using the Half Blood Princes' text book to whip up concoctions...

And so, The Velvet Hammer is smooth as velvet to be sure but I've seen her swing that hammer and damn if she didn't hit Shamus HARD, smack dab between the eyes the day he decided he was going to question her about recipes with a slight attitude.  And his reply after her response was, "Thank you Chef, You're a Beautiful woman Chef"...Yep, it made me swoon just to watch her wield her weapon. 

That's my Blip for my BFFs today.

No comments: