Pinchers

Monday, February 28, 2011

How ya like them apples?

Well there i was back at school after an extremely emotional weekend in St. George for Luas' funeral. I walk into the room and the first thing I see is some guy walking up to me we a little post it sticker... The teacher wants me to be the volunteer Sous Chef for the day because the guy that was supposed to do it has withdrawn from school. Sad story about that guy. His mom died in a car accident and now has to care for his little sister. And come to find out, the administrator at the Cordon Bleu school in L.A., where he is headed, just happened to know his mom... Small world.

So there i am. The person that was Sous Chef the class before was supposed to help me and show me where stuff was and what to do. That didn't happen, they didn't even show up until 5 minutes before class. The Sous Chef for the day is supposed to arrive 30 minutes before class starts to set up and get the sanitation and food chefs going on what they are supposed to do. Good thing i always show up 30-40 mins before class. It's all good. I scrambled around a little looking for all the stuff i needed to mark off on my inventory and set up the Chef and i was done. whew.

Then the Sanitations instructor comes in and starts talking about Ch. 6 being reviewed after he gives the Ch. 5 quiz. Doh, I wasn't there Friday to know that i was to read up on Ch. 5 for a quiz. So, he passes out the quiz and i'm looking at it like a dumbass because well, I knew a little of what was on there but not the crux of it so i raise my hand and walk up to the Chef and ask if i can do a makeup due to the fact that i was not in class on Friday and had no idea... Thank goodness for makeups. I wipe my brow again...

Our cuts for the day was fun. We made an Apple swan, lemon basket, tomato rose and carrot flowers. Chef said i did a very nice job. I want to thank my Father for his creative and artistic genes because it's easy for me to pick these things up where as some of the swans that i saw cut in class today were more like ugly ducklings. Practice, practice...(pictures of my cuts are posted below.)

We had a Chef from the Marriott come in and talk to us about his externship and well, the school is just starting to prep us for making our way out into the world to look for a place that we want to take our externship. This Chef, sorry i didn't catch his name, worked in New Orleans and has had the opportunity to "have drinks" with Emeril Lagasse. BAM!!! Must be nice. He's now the Executive Chef at the Seattle Marriott.
I'm still trying to think of a place to do my externship. I have Rays Boathouse in mind...we'll see.

That's my blip for my BFFs for today.

No comments: