Pinchers

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Butchering, Trussing and Roasting a Chicken.

I've butchered chickens before, I've also got a video from  the first term on butchering but todays lesson and having Chef there guiding us every step of the way was very illuminating.  Please watch the butchering vids on youtube.  It's just one of those things that if I'm going to literally explain it, well I do believe you'll never read my blogs again.

As a kid I always loved getting the piece of chicken that had the wishbone in it so we could pull it apart, be the winner and make a wish.  And I think that a large majority of the class took the time to pull  apart a wishbone they had just extracted.  Yes, I was in the majority because well... I'm still a kid at heart.  Today I learned that pulling that bone out first thing makes butchering or carving so much easier.  I know, I've just dashed the hopes and wishes of tons of children out there...

Always truss a bird that you're going to roast. Why?  Because I said so...  LOL  It helps it to maintain its shape as well as to ensure Even cooking. 
Season the Inside of your bird, stuff it and whatever else you want to do with it, (Please, I don't want to know about your fettishes), then Truss it.  Season the Outside, cover it with Clarified butter, olive oil, salad oil etc. This gives it a nice golden brown.  Then you can either sear it in a pan before putting it in the oven or just put it in the oven.  And how long do you cook it?... Til it's done.  Chef roasted a whole chicken today at 450° for about 1 hour and oh 10 minutes.  The internal temperature of your chicken should be 165°.

As Chef said today, "If you call yourself a cook you should be able to make a simple roast chicken..."

That's my blip for my BFFs today.

No comments: