Pinchers

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Alfredo, Who is that guy?

Alfredo Di Lelio, his wife is pregnant and has lost her appetite so he scramble about trying to make something that she'll eat and so in 1914 the Fettuccine Alfredo is born.  Alfredo of Rome is named after Di Lelio and in 1927 Actors Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford enjoyed the dish so much that they dubbed him "King of Fettuccine" and from then on it's been tradition that celebrities that visit the restaurant have thier photo taken while dining there.  Alfredo of Rome is located in Rome, New York, Orlando and Las Vegas.  If you ask me this guy is a Glory hound, most people named their dishes after the inspiration like Anna Deslions=Potatoes Anna. NOOOooo this guy says, I made it, I'm gonna name this dish after myself, not his poor ailing wife who is sick because of HIM... pft...

This dish is so easy to make that I can't believe that I've actually had some bad Alfredo that I've paid for at a restaurant that I of course have never returned to.  So here is the recipe but please... Watch the video because well... the recipe is Not perfect.  Watch the Chef and learn from the pro.

Alfredo. 4 oz Heavy cream, a little butter, fresh fettuccine, again 2-4oz heavy cream for the second stage, 2-3oz parmasan cheese (grated), salt and pepper to taste.  Be creative, before you add heavy cream perhaps use olive oil to sweat some onions and garlic saute off some shrimps maybe then add your heavy cream.  Just saying.  You're the cook, what do you want to eat?

Again, please watch the video, click on the link for my Youtube channel on the top left just above the profile photo.

I made my pasta and Alfredo and put a little bit of the Pesto in it and it was Rich and heavenly.  I even attempted the ricotta ravioli and it turned out pretty good too. 

Things to remember... Fresh pasta cooks Very fast, 1 1/2-2 minutes, so be careful not to overcook your pasta and have a mushy mess to slurp on.  Salt your boiling water a little less than the sea, swirl the water then ease in your pasta, swirl the water again so your pasta isn't just one big clump.  When the pasta rises to the top, it's almost ready and you should check it for doneness.  Al dente is what you're looking for.  No Sue, don't take a piece out and throw it on the wall to see if it sticks.  Blow on it, put it in your mouth and bite it to see if it's done.  Al dente means "to the tooth" so ... Not mushy, should have a little bit of a bite to it.  You might even want it a little undercooked because you're gonna put it in the sauce and it's going to continue cooking while you're adding the cheese and seasoning.   Another thing.  If you don't watch the video you'll probably go and rinse your fresh pasta...hm... wrong.  From the boiling water and INTO the sauce.  Oh that's right I did say to watch the video earlier, so what are you waiting for?  Go on, scroll up and click on the Youtube link...

That's my blip for my BFFs today.

No comments: