Pinchers

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Soup du Jour

Well, we've finally graduated from sauces and are now making soups.  Today we made Clam Chowder, French Onion, and Consommé.

So, What makes a chowder Chowder?  Anyone?  Raise your hand please.  Potatoes?  What about the potatoes?  Ah yes, that's absolutely correct.  For it to be a Chowder there Has to be Potato chunks in it.  No Chunks, then it's just Cream of Clams.

I'm going to share this recipe for New England Clam Chowder with you because it's YUMMY.  This is a serving for 2.

2tsp  Olive oil                                                4oz  Milk
1/2 c   Canned minced clams                          4oz  Heavy cream
1oz  White wine                                            2-3 sprigs Thyme, fine chop
1oz  Bacon, Finely diced                                1/2 tsp  Parsley,  fine chop
2oz  Onions,  small dice
1/2 oz  Flour                                                  Salt and White Pepper to taste.
6oz  Potato,  small dice                                   8oz Clam Juice
2oz  celery


In a small pot over medium heat add Olive oil and bacon.  Do NOT brown the bacon.  Stir constantly while rendering the fat from bacon.  Add the onions and cook slowly til onions are translucent, don't brown.  Add flour and stir it well and cook for about 3 mins.  Do NOT brown.  Using whisk slowly stir in the wine and let it reduce by about 1/2, cooking out the alcohol.  Now stir in 8oz clam juice and bring to a boil.  Stir constantly to make sure the liquid is Smooth.  Turn down to a simmer and Add potatoes and celery and cook until the potatoes are tender.  Stir in the Clams, Milk and Cream, Heat gently.  DO NOT BOIL.  Add finely chopped Parsley and thyme, Bring to a simmer and you're done.  Add Salt and Pepper to taste...

If you want to keep this heated then put a pan on the burner, add water and put your pot in the pan.  The double boiler effect is the best way to keep your cream soups from getting scorched.

The Consommé is a tricky SOB to make but if you do it right you could see a coin at the bottom of a cup full of consommé.  Mine turned out quite well, thank goodness.  As well did my French onion soup, too bad I don't like French Onion or I would have been chowing down during class today.  I brought my Chowder home to share with the family.

All the running around during class and sweating about getting stuff done correctly and on time has been kicking my Ass all the way to Timbuktu and I've just been exhausted when I get home and I've been slacking on my blog but then again there really hasn't been much to write about since it's just been on sauces.  Am I trying to justify being a lazy bum and not writing?  Yes I am lol...

Enjoy the Chowder.  That's my blip for my BFFs today.

1 comment:

Jodi Haili said...

This version of New England Clam Chowder sounds wonderful. I have a receipe that doesn't call for white wine. I look forward to trying this version. I will let you know how I do. I am a big fan of clam chowder!!!! YUMMY :)