Pinchers

Friday, April 29, 2011

Pardon my French Omelette...

Today was egg day...I'd like to start with an FYI.  The Chefs hat has many meanings.  The taller the Hat the Higher the rank.  The Pleats in the Chef's hat signifies the number of different ways that the chef can prepare eggs.  There are hats with 100 pleats in it...

I make really yummy green scrambled eggs, It's my signature breakfast item.  This past Easter weekend I made poached eggs for the first time.  I learned from youtube then learned it again in class today.  I've got the Hollandaise sauce down so making Eggs Benedict was a breeze.  I had to work a bit on my fried eggs and get this... We could stir the egg but were not allowed to flip the eggs with a spatula.  We had to toss the eggs  to flip them.  Chef threatened to take our spatulas away if he saw us flipping eggs with them lol.  Yes, I toss flipped an over easy egg... Yay me.

What really sucked for me were the Omelettes.  I have Never been able to make omelettes and the French Omelette was definitely a challenge for me.  It is described as a "soft congealed egg wrapped in an envelope".  I failed miserably and scrambled eggs many times and threw away many tries before I was satisfied with a French omelette I was willing to present to the Chef and even then it wasn't quite right but I was running out of time and many French words that I'm positive had nothing to do with the French language passed through my mind as I called out "Ready Chef" at the very last possible minute.  Now don't get me wrong and I don't mean to offend anyone nor do I mean any disrespect for Julia Child but I watched Julia Child make what she called a French omelette and well, That was Not a French Omelette and it turned out pretty ugly and talk about OVER kill with the parsley garnish.  My teacher Chef Knaup makes a Beautiful French omelette every time.  Today we went to Costco and bought 5 dozen eggs so I can practice making French omelettes.

 I'm an odd bird and I like to learn things that are rarely asked for or done, why?  I don't know, just so I can say I can? Darcy always makes fun of me for knowing the uncommon and my sis calls me a nerd.  So, I'm on the quest to be able to tourné like it's nobody elses business and making a killer French omelette has just been added to the list. French omelettes are rarely on menus but all the Chefs are taught how to make it and we'll be tested on it at the end of the term so... Scrambled Eggs until I get the French Omelette down anyone?

It's another late night and well, and I'll be tired in the morning but I'll be damned if I'm going to write 2 blogs on a Friday night lol.    please watch my vid of Chef Knaup making the French Omelette if you're interested in the challenge of it.  Learn how to do it right, from someone who is most excellent at making a beautiful French Omelette.  Sorry Julia but Kudos go to Chef Knaup at Le Cordon Bleu Seattle...

That's my blip for my BFFs today.

No comments: