Pinchers

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

So you think making Salads is easy? Heh, think again...

I'm a little behind on my blog because I was studying for a test that was mentioned on the mco for class that never happened. /sigh...

So today we made 4 different types of salads and let me tell you, If you want it to look good then it's a little time consuming.  You have to have your Mise en Place all set before you start making everything.  And...Salads should be tossed in the dressing unless requested to be set on the side.  So, yeah, we learned the right way to toss a salad and NO you don't just throw everything in a bowl and plop a glob of dressing in it.  It's intricate work for a true masterpiece.

I'll upload the vids and you can watch them for more detail because well, it's always best to watch an artist at work. 

There are numerous types of Salads that you can make and you are only as limited as your imagination.  What I will give you today is the ratio for your vinaigrette.  3 oil to 1 vinegar.  And even then your vinaigrette can be a work of art but do keep in mind the color that your dressing will become and what your salad is going to look like after you toss it.  If you use Balsamic vinegar for your vinaigrette and you're gonna put it on your potato salad, Honestly, do you want your Potato Salad to be the color of Squid ink?  Think about it.  So many different types of Oils and vinegars to chose from.  If you use Olive oil, remember that it has a strong flavor and you may want to go 1 part Olive oil and 2 parts salad oil.  Just a suggestion but hey, it's your salad and you're the one eating it, not me.  Be the mad scientist and start experimenting or eh, just look up a dressing Online if you lack in creativity... It's ok, nobody but you will know lol.

Also, Season your salad with salt and pepper.  It's a beautiful thing.

I've taken a picture of my salads to give you an idea of plating your salads.  High and tight and away from the rim of the plate.  I brought my salads home and had a feast.  Here's hoping you can get your feast on after you're done creating your masterpiece.

That's my blip for my BFFs today, yet again...

No comments: