Pinchers

Monday, April 18, 2011

WTH is Risotto?

I knew that it was a rice dish and watching Chopped on the Food channel the Judge was all "I'm sorry but this is Not risotto" and I thought to myself.  Risoto is rice and he made rice so why isn't it Risotto?

WEEEeeeell, so today we made Risotto and as I was reading my homework Risotto is best made with Arborio rice, one of many Italian varieties of short grain rice, essential for making the Highest quality of Risotto.  So, I'm figuring that if Mr. Chopped made his risoto with Long grain lord knows where it came from rice and put it in the oven then He was way off base and yes, what he made was in fact NOT a Risotto. 

We started off by sweating the Onion in equal parts of olive oil and butter, then adding the rice and cooking it for a little bit, oh about 2 minutes, then there was a pot of boiling Chicken stock.  Wait, back track.  Let me give you the recipe first.

Risotto Milanese...Well, Normally it would be called Risotto alla Parmigiana but what makes it Milanese is the Saffron.

part 1.  1/4 oz Butter, 1/4 oz olive oil, 1/4 oz Onion (fine chop), 4oz Italian Arborio rice, 12-16oz Chicken stock,../part 2.  1/2 oz butter, 1 1/2 oz Parmesan cheese, 1/4 oz Saffron, 2oz  Cream, 1 Egg yolk.

So, ladle in 4oz of the stock into the Rice, then stir it and keep an eye on the rice... Simmer it along.  Stirring occasionally.  When the liquid is absorbed add more stock.  In the mean time ladle out a little bit of the stock and add the Saffron to it.  Saffron is water soluble (fyi).  This will give a nice yellow color to your rice.  So, the next time your rice needs stock use the stock with the Saffron in it.  WATCH the Video.   So, your rice is ready, now you whip the cream and mix it with the egg yolk, then you add a little bit of the hot rice to that mixture to temper the egg, then you pour that into the rice.  add your butter and cheese and your Risoto should be a nice and creamy.  Season with salt to taste. 

I had issues with my risoto but let me tell you, I'll be making it again and not messing it up lol. 

We had to make 3 things for production today, Green beans, Risoto and glazed Carrots.  While in production the chef decided to throw us a curve ball and said for us to make Potato Leek soup as a team.  Well, I didn't have a partner, I think I may smell funny because I work alone a LOT... I promise I shower Every day before school.  And so Chef comes over to me and says, are you going to make the soup?  And i'm all, well I was going to try and make it but, and I point across the way to the guy I asked if he wanted to do it  and he said No...and told the Chef as much and he looks at me and says.   "Do it."  So, what am I going to say?  "No Chef"?  NOT.  And I'm running, and I'm peeling and I'm Chopping and I'm Running and I'm Stirring and I'm looking Very much like a Chicken with it's head cut off dressed in chefs clothes. 

LINE IS OPEN!!! he says... Uh huh... I'm running, not enough dishes, "It's okay, just use a dish from someone who's been tested."  I'm waiting, Oo my beans are going to be overcooked now that I have to wait for a stupid Plate...OMG my Rice is too thick,  Add stock, add cream,  butter, stir stir stir...
Got the plate, Dished up the Risoto, beans and carrots... OMFG I forgot to blend the soup.  Wipe my face, RUN FORREST RUN...Blend the soup, plate the soup..."ONLY 3 People up here at a TIME!!!"  WTF /sigh.   HURRY up and Wait.  Now my food is going to be cold.  OH Bloody Hell!!!  I'm cleaning, I'm waiting,  I look up, still the same 3 people up there.  A plethora of flourished verbiage Flies through my mind looking very much like *(%#+&*!#...  "Everybody get up her Now if you haven't already come up here."  I get up there and I ...Wait...   ...   ...   ...   So he tastes my beans, "mmmm that's good"  my carrots "mmmm That's really good."  my Risoto  "could be a little creamier and a little Under seasoned"  Oh Hell, I forgot to check the seasoning after I added more stock and even then it wasn't creamy enough.  /sigh... My Soup "mmm that's really good"....   Okay, so 3 out of 4 isn't bad at all.  But am I happy? No, and yes nobody's perfect but eh, I set my standards high... I know, I know... Get over it.  

I'm driving home and I feel exhausted.  All in all it was a good day and I learned a lot.  Watch the Vid for Risoto, it'll be more helpful than just reading what I wrote.

And That is my blip for my BFFs today.

2 comments:

Lena said...

mmm, I LOVE risotto...I remember the first time i had it...was when I was on a 'date' with a gay boy (unbeknownst to him at the time)& he made me the most DELISH dinner...& from then on I was hooked (yes, on both gay men & risotto).

Anyway, I'd be willing to have you experiment your risotto on me if you use veg broth? ;) lol. I'm reading this post at 10:50pm & am now starving & drooling & wanting that creamy, rich, carby dish!

Luv ya sister wife! :)

Anonymous said...

sounds like u were having a good time sis...lol...remember nerdo u don't have to do everything perfect! :D love ya