Pinchers

Monday, June 27, 2011

Fire Oven Pizzas at 21 Acres

So, I have to say that for as long as I've lived in the Seattle area, I still don't know my way around so I Highly depend on the modern technology of the GPS to help me find my way.  And yet, even with this brilliant equipment at hand I still found myself on a dirt road in the middle of a field of vegetation thinking to myself..."where is everyone?"  I'm driving, I see shacks and tractors, where's the Fire oven and people?  Hmmm.  So I call Chef Moore's cell phone.  "Hi, please leave... blah blah blah"  "Hi Chef, it's Sol, I'm in the middle of a field and I think I'm LOST!"

I make my way back to the main road and thankfully there is someone at the gate, and He is starting to close this gate.  Imagine now what might have come to pass had I not made my way out sooner...
"Excuse me, I'm looking for 21 Acres."  He points to the next lot.  "that's next door"   Whew, at least I wasn't THAT far off.

So it was said that if it rained the event was going to be cancelled.  It really looked iffy because when I left my house to go to school, it was raining but it wasn't raining at school.  I asked Chef Moore if it was still a go on the Event and she said yes.  So here we were at 21 Acres with grey skies but no rain. 

Stephen was the fire man.  There was a small fire burning in the oven and when I got there he had Bellows in hand and was blowing life into the embers to try and set the wood ablaze.  The others were in the field picking berries and veggies for the pizza.  So being the Pyromaniac that I am, obviously I offered to help with the fire.  And Stephen, being the modern man that he is, asked me to gather and chop more wood.  So I go to the wood pile and pick out the dry stuff, and with small axe in hand begin to chop wood.  I love chopping wood lol...

I hear voices coming from the field, I look up and here come Chef Moore, Bree, Inna and Jason with hands full of vegetation.  Chef Moore then immediately begins to divi out assignments and me, I'm the chopper of the veggies.  2 half sheet trays full of veggies were the results of my hard work.  This I did while the others rolled out the mini pizza doughs.  Then Inna and Bree were set to making beautiful Grasshopper and Bouquet appetizers while Jason made the dressings. 

With the chopping done ... we started building the pizzas or rather, I was the Pizza builder.  Chef showed me what to do and here I was, pulling and stretching the dough and Chef was like, "Here I'll help with the dough" because Obviously I kind of sucked lol... But by the end of the event I was the dough pulling Queen lol.  

"AH, I'm on FIRE!!"  Our Fire man Stephen, who was working the oven and baking the pizzas had his right arm wrapped in towels and this helped to keep him from burning while he reached into the oven to retrieve the pizzas.  His towels were spotted with holes and glowing with embers.  He was safe but the towels had seen better days.  I must say, the Fire Man did a Fantastic job working the Fire oven.

And so people were starting to make their way in, so Bree and Jason headed out to don thier LCB uniforms so they would look Dashing as they served the party people.  Well, the "party people" were the Hoity Toity's of Woodinville, there to discuss City Council issues while getting full on pizza and sloshed on expensive wine. 

We recieved raving reviews from the crowed.  The biggest hit of the evening were the Strawberry tarts that were made for dessert.  There is NOTHING like Strawberries picked Fresh from a garden and getting used directly for Dessert.

 It was a wonderful affair and even Mother Nature graced us with a gap in the clouds to allow the sun to shine down on the Event.  And so it was over and we cleaned up our mess and packed our bags and boxes and loaded up most of the stuff into the bed of my truck.  And as we were loading the truck the sky began to open up it's flood gates and it began to rain.  Not sprinkle, but shower.  Luckily for us most things were packed up and we didn't get too drenched.

So, on with the GPS and back to school I went.  Yes, you guessed it, I got lost! LOL...For some reason the GPS wanted to send me on a wild goose chase and it had me back track...15 minutes later I was back on the right track and 20 minutes later I was back at school... It's 10pm now and everyone is exhausted.  We all had finals earlier and now were cleaning up and washing and putting stuff away.  It's been a very looooong day.  Bree looked like a zombie, I think perhaps she would have just laid down under a table and slept right there and then. 

Success is the word for our 21 Acres Event and I for one had a Fantastic time.  Thank you Chef Moore and Ambassadors for a job well done. 
And that is my blip for my BFFs today.  http://21acres.org/local-food-co-op

No comments: