Pinchers

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Wascally Wabbit

Today we learned how to fabricate Rabbit and remove the membrane from Thymus gland aka Sweetbreads from calves...

Mmmmhmmm...I am not looking forward to trying the Sweetbread.  It's a delicacy that's a delicate matter with me, this is the part of cooking that I really was Not looking forward to.  We must taste EVERYTHING... ={ 

The Thymus gland is found only in young calves as when they mature the gland disappears.  So, why is it called Sweetbread?  Honestly, would you sit down at a restaurant and look at the menu and think to yourself, "hmmm, I think I'll have the Thymus gland.  It's sounds really yummy..."  I think not!  It is simply for the marketabilty of this delicacy...  "mmmmm Sweetbread!"   ...

And so we had our lecture today and Up pops a picture of a cute wittle Bunny wabbit and then right next to it was a picture of rabbit stew...We had Chef Mullins come into our class today to show us how to fabricate Rabbit.  He's our resident Expert butcher.  I'm surprised at myself because I had no qualms about putting the blade to the bunny to fabricate it, especially after seeing that cute little bunny picture.

We're making stew with both these items tomorrow.  I've never had rabbit  before and I'm kind of looking forward to trying it, unlike it's partner in crime Sweetbreads...  So, on the menu for tomorrow it's Sweetbread stew with Basmati rice and Rabbit stew with Parpadelle pasta.  I'm thinking that they are trying to get us to learn how to make stew because this is like, oh I think, the 5th stew dish we've made this term.  And really, how many times can one write a blog about stewing?... /sigh

That's my blip for my BFFs today.

No comments: