Pinchers

Friday, June 24, 2011

Homage to Chef Isaac Frerichs

When I started school there was a buzz going round amoungst the classmates of the Dreaded Chef Frerichs.  "He's a Hard teacher and does not hand out grades easily."  Push, push, pushes you to the limits.  And well, yes, all of this is true.  But what they failed to mention is what an excellent and fair instructor he is.

Chef Frerichs is the All seeing, hearing and knowing.  You may think that he is not looking but he has eyes on the back of his head.  You may think he can't hear you but he has bionic ears.  Just when you think he's not going to notice something, he says something to the effect of what you were thinking about.

I had 1 really bad day this term in his class but it was not his fault.  It was just a bad day.  Any other time I may have seemed to be upset but I was just on focus mode and trying to get the days work done.  If you thought he was easy then...I'd like to see your grade and I'd be afraid to eat your food.  I worked my ass off and it was NOT easy.  I smelled many a burnt dishes...

I appreciate all that I have learned from him.  All the push, push, push, "Come on Sol..."  is all about growing, learning and becoming the better person, the better chef, the better leader that I can become.  It is with an instructor like Chef Frerichs, if taken with a teaspoon of sugar, that possibly all your wildest culinary dreams can come true.  Truly, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.  Chef Frerichs is the Trainer of Champions.

If your experience with Chef Frerichs was unpleasant, well then I hope that you have learned from your mistakes and you should now be ready for the next round.  I myself had a wonderfully exhilarating experience with him, enjoyed the Knights of the Round Table sessions where we got to learn, share and experience some of his humor.  Now I look forword to, and absolutely dread being taught by the person who is known as "The Velvet Hammer" Chef Herman.  And because we were taught by Chef Frerichs, she will be expecting a LOT more from us.  She is the tiniest lil thing but she walks with a velvet handled sledge hammer and she Frightens the living Bejeebus out of me.

Best wishes to your life in your new place of residence or wherever the walk of life may take you.

Thank you Chef Frerichs for enriching and seasoning my life.  Your Humble Student,  Sol.

1 comment:

Chef Isaac said...

i miss you tons, sol!