Pinchers

Monday, June 27, 2011

A Healthy yet tasty Macaroni and Cheese!?!

For our flex assignment for CF3 we were assigned various dishes where we had to come up with a "healthy" version of.  Me, I got Macaroni and Cheese.   We were set up in teams of 2 for this project and my partner was a new girl that was there all of oh, 3 days?  She supposedly cut her hand and never showed up again, so I got to do my assignment all by myself.  Yay, I hate having to try and figure out what's going on in someone else's head let alone someone that I don't even know.

I did all that was required of us and used the suggested cheeses from the Chef.  We had different check points where we'd discuss with the Chef our progress and he would make adjustments and suggestions to our work.  In the end we were to have a recipe fully written out.  It was to be written for someone who doesn't know how to cook or for your Mom that's going to try a new recipe for her family etc... And along with this, a Nutrition analysis for the dish.  I turned in the assignment on the due date and thought I was done... No, no, no...  Chef didn't like some After taste of the cheeses that He suggested I use so he made more adjustments and I made more Mac n Chz.  I made the adjustments but with the addition of spaghetti squash and the omition of 1c of pasta it made for a VERY small portion and HIGH calorie dish.  I took it in the next day and Chef Really liked the flavors but because of the High cal made more adjustments...

Let's just say that I don't want to see Mac & Cheese for a VERY long time.  But I'll say this, the end product is very low cal and according to the Chef has Very good Flavors.  So,  Here it is, the full recipe.  I hope you enjoy it as much as Chef Frerichs did.

Healthy & Deliciously Nutritious
Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
 from Soloau Teo's kitchen
(makes 5 to 6, 1 cup servings)
1  Whole Spaghetti squash (approximately 1# 7oz yield)
¾  c  Water
1 c  Whole Wheat Macaroni
1 ¼ c   Silk Light Soy Milk
2 tbsp  Onions, finely chopped
2  tsp  Kosher Salt
¼ tsp  White Pepper
¼ tsp  Thyme
¼ tsp  Oregano
¼ tsp  Rosemary
8 oz  Tillamook Classic Macaroni & Cheese 3 Cheese Blend
2 pc  Wheat Thins Flatbread, Tuscan Herb.  (make into crumbs)
1.       Using a whole Spaghetti squash, after cutting in half, clean out the center and remove the seeds. Place in a baking pan, Add ¾ c water and cover it with foil.  Cook at 350° for approximately 45 minutes.  It is done when you can easily poke through the meat with a knife. 
2.       When squash is cooked hold the squash firmly in one hand and in the other hand use a fork and scrape the meat from top end to bottom end to remove the meat from the skin.  Set aside.
3.        Using a 3 quart sauce pan, Prepare Whole wheat macaroni according to instructions on the package and cook until  Al Dente.  Drain the macaroni and return it to the pan.  Do NOT rinse the macaroni.  Cover and set it aside.
4.        In a 2 or 3 quart sauce pan Add Milk, Onions, Salt and White Pepper, thyme, oregano and rosemary.   Over Medium-high heat, cook until it comes to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for about 2 minutes.  Stir regularly to keep from scorching.
5.       Remove from heat and while constantly stirring with wire whisk, slowly add the cheese.   Stir until cheese is melted and smooth.
6.       Combine the Squash and Macaroni then add the cheese mixture. Stir until it’s all mixed well then pour it into a square baking pan and spread it out evenly through the pan.  Sprinkle the Flatbread crumbs over the top of the Mac and Cheese.
7.       Let it rest for about 15 minutes and allow it to set before serving.   
292 Calories per 1 cup serving.  584 Calories per 2 cup serving.

That is my blip for my BFFs today.   Enjoy...

Yes, that is my end product for my assignment, cooked at school.

No comments: